Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Not The End Of The World

There are a high percentage of young mothers in America. The question is …why? Has it become acceptable in this society to be unmarried and have children at a young age?
Some say that young mothers that have children do not strive economically. They have difficulty with budgeting and having to change their mind set to start thinking about themselves plus one.
 It’s not motherhood that makes a woman suffer; it has a lot to do with keeping their priorities in order. Most low income mothers are able to receive much help from government assistance, so the burden of motherhood is not a major struggle.
ChaKiara Tucker, 24, is a mother of a beautiful baby boy. She says that motherhood has been difficult but she still is able to manage.
“I’ve learned to appreciate and not take advantage of what help I do receive for my baby,” said Tucker, “but it’s still hard because I’m learning that a child is very expensive and not all government assistence are very helpful."

Author and economist Melissa Schettini Kearney of the University of Maryland believes that young mothers who have uneducated mothers are more likely to have children than those who have mothers that are educated. That may not always be the case.
“My mom and dad did go to school but she had her first child when she was 16,” said Tucker, “she is a FAMU graduate just like I will be soon .”
Most parents in this generation don’t have “the talk” with their children so most times they are uneducated about what to do. That definitely plays a part in the percentage of young mothers.
Early motherhood is not the end of the world it definitely can have its benefits.
“Being a young mom is hard but, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world,” said Tucker, “I love my baby boy and I enjoy learning new things with him and watching him grow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment